Sunday Times Books LIVE Community Sign up

Login to Sunday Times Books LIVE

Forgotten password?

Forgotten your password?

Enter your username or email address and we'll send you reset instructions

Sunday Times Books LIVE

John van de Ruit

@ Sunday Times Books LIVE

Remember to Spread the Love Always

John van de RuitWelcome to my official blog and thanks to those who made it happen. (Spud would say “wickedly splendid.”) I look forward to hearing from Spud fans, curious bloggers, late night lurkers and other people with far too much time on their hands.

I must begin by saying that the job of writing is indeed a weird profession. My publisher hands me the sales figures and informs me that Spud is now officially a phenomenon and that everybody is going mad about it. But here at my writing desk at home I see very little evidence first hand. So now I can talk directly to you and let you know some of the madness that is me and my life. In return you can share your thoughts with me. Good, bad or otherwise.

I have just returned from the first leg of the Spud – The Madness Continues …book tour which took me to Jozi for a rather psycho 5 days, then to Cape Town for a rather chilled 5 days and then on to Franschhoek for the literary festival this last weekend which was simply beautiful. (In fact, click here to watch a video of me saying just how beautiful it was.) The KZN leg of the tour kicks off on Thursday and this includes a launch at Michaelhouse (which should be interesting!!). Next month it’s back to Cape Town for the book fair and then straight on to Jozi for another short tour followed by a stint at the Grahamstown festival.

So if you want to know more about Spud or what I’m up to, then all you have to do is ask and I’ll drop by from time to time to shoot the breeze with you

I’ll leave you with my mantra:

“Remember to spread the love always.”

Johnny

(The spud guy…)

Recent comments:

• <a href="http://sarahbritten.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Sarah</a>
    Sarah
    May 16th, 2007 @16:18 #

Hello John!

If you're not feeling the effects of all those lovely sales, then there's no hope for the rest of us :(

Do you write full time? Or do you cram it in between other things?

Bottom
    Chris
    May 25th, 2007 @16:04 #

Howzat Johnny
    I'm like spud's biggest fan, the only book I read is spud, so please please please tell me you are writing more spuds, and if so, when will you start writing it?

Bottom
    Jabulani
    June 24th, 2007 @18:01 #

New fan mail! I have just discovered and started reading Spud - fantastic stuff! There are very few books that make one laugh out loud, and this afternoon I was nearly choking. Having been through similar institutions, I find myself recognizing the book's world, but you seem to have been able to retain your sanity. Your deadpan voice keeps causing me to be caught unawares. Brilliantly done. Please don't let too much success make your future writing boring. Thanks - I needed a book like that.

Bottom
    mtfranks101
    July 9th, 2007 @19:08 #

Hi!
    I think I am also definately one of Spud's biggest fans. I love your writing John, and hope to become a famous writer like u one day or a journalist. Anyway, I wrote u a loooooooooooooong email to Tracey McDonald at Penguin so pls pls pls check it out id really lyk u 2!

Congrats on all the success on spud and cant wait 4 da nxt 1!
    Melissa

Bottom
  • <a href="http://sarahbritten.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Sarah</a>
    Sarah
    July 10th, 2007 @13:33 #

I know I am being like, so anal, but isn't one of the prerequisites of good writing a passing acquaintance with correct spelling?

Bottom
    Ben - Editor
    July 10th, 2007 @14:04 #

I was about to mention something along similar lines, Sarah - but it's also good to bear in mind that many of John's fans haven't completed their schooling yet. Perhaps Melissa's still due a few English classes!

Bottom
    mtfranks101
    July 10th, 2007 @14:53 #

Hey John!
    I was just wondering if you are working on the new Spud at the moment and if you know an estimated date as to when it is going to come out. I can't wait to carry on reading all about Spud and his lunatic family and friends!
    From Melissa
    ps: sorry for the spelling mistakes and all the IM jargon on the previous message! I was so embarrassed!

Bottom
    Ben - Editor
    July 10th, 2007 @15:00 #

Ah, the IM curse strikes again. We should all just give up! (Will make sure John sees your notes, Melissa.)

Bottom
    picasso
    August 22nd, 2007 @15:51 #

Well John, all i can say is brilliant!
    My fiance & i are reading the book at the same time.
    After hearing me laughing continuously, he couldn't help himself, but sneak off with it when i wasn't looking.
    So needless to say there are reading schedules on who gets the book each day. hehehe
    Congratulations on such a phenomenal book.

Bottom

Please register or log in to comment

» View comments as a forum thread and add tags in BOOK Chat